Our Professional Know-How
As a provider of convenient and affordable passenger rail travel in Canada, VIA Rail possesses top railway experience and expertise, which can be exported to help other organizations achieve their business goals. VIA Rail can contribute its knowledge and expert services in the following areas.
Alliances & Partnerships
Looking to achieve certain strategic goals or fulfill specific business needs? Then consider an alliance or partnership with VIA Rail. In addition to providing your organization with access to major national and international markets, an alliance or partnership with VIA can deliver:
- Complementary resources, such as additional management skills, data, products, technologies and capital
- Access to new distribution channels and new marketsto help increase awareness and competitiveness of your products and services
- Reduced product development timeand product cost, resulting in faster-to-market products
- Lower R&D costs and risks
- More innovative development
Some notable alliances and partnerships with VIA include:
- Nomad Digital, providing wireless Internet access on board our trains and in stations along the Québec City–Windsor corridor
To discuss partnership opportunities with VIA Rail, contact us.
Richard and Maxime, part of VIA Rail’s Innovation team, are deeply curious people on a mission. They begin by asking their fellow employees about the problems keeping them up at night, and then they work to solve them.Our role is unlocking the potential hidden throughout the company. Explore our initiatives
VIA Rail offers consulting services in all areas of rail passenger management and operation, from general management practices to rolling stock maintenance and planning the optimal customer experience.
Our experts have the knowledge and experience to help your organization effectively reach your strategic, operational, financial or management goals.Our experience
- Rio de Janeiro commuter rail: Reviewing maintenance network and operations
- European Space Agency: R&D project demonstrating an advanced GPS-based train navigation system
- Florida: Operational expertise in the review of a high-speed train proposal
- Ghana: Technical and management advice for the revitalization of national railways
- Costa Rica: Participating in the privatization and restructuring of the country's railways
- Argentina: Participating in the revitalization of the Buenos Aires-Mar del Plata corridor
- Africa: Materials management and rail costing expertise for continental railways
- Reviewing and evaluating maintenance requirements
- Developing preventive and corrective programs
- Exporting work methods and best practices
- Evaluating maintenance facility layouts
- Developing systems, procedures and quality management
- Planning organizations and competencies
- Elaborating training requirements
- Marketing planning, customer plan (markets, products, loyalty programs, communication, sales management)
- Customer focusing/customer-based strategies and services, as provided to SNCF
- Promise delivery at every customer touch-point
- On-board amenities and environment
- Quality service focus on- and off-train
- Fleet planning and management
- Train operations and traffic operational management
- Safety management systems
- Environmental considerations
- Fuel management
- Operating plans and timetables
- Safety regulations
- Stations development plans
- Passenger information
- Multi-modal planning
- Use of space
- Passenger flow studies
- Information systems and technologies
- Organizational development and training
- Managing projects in a rail environment
- Risk management practices
- Feasibility studies/benchmarking
- Business strategies and business case development
- Operational planning and general management practices
To discuss consulting opportunities, contact us.
Maintenance and repair
VIA Rail maintains and services a fleet of over 500 pieces of rolling stock to the highest standards. This includes everything from trip servicing and preventive maintenance to component repairs and major overhauls.
We are able to provide servicing, maintenance and component repair services to the rail industry, thanks to our state-of-the-art and certified facilities, skilled workforce and effective cost-oriented management.Our services
We are open for business Canada-wide, seven days a week and around the clock to satisfy your maintenance and repair production needs.
VIA Rail offers the following services:
- Inspection, maintenance and repair of rolling stock
- Train servicing
- Truck inspection and overhaul
- Damper and component repair and re-qualifying
- Wheel profiling
- Bearing replacement (Vancouver)
- Automatic train wash
- Fluid analysis
- Vibration analysis
- Test instrument testing and calibrating
- Wiring harness assembly
- Equipment storage
Our skilled management and technical teams also offer these professional consulting services:
- Operations planning
- Repair feasibility studies
- Project management
- Technical studies and performance specifications
- Industrial engineering and productivity studies
- Vehicle performance testing
Our diversified workforce is second to none. With extensive experience in rail car and locomotive repair, VIA's maintenance personnel include:
- Passenger car interior refurbishment experts
- Locomotive repair mechanics
- Certified car inspectors
Our workforce is complemented by state-of-the-art support facilities that include a truck shop with grit blast and component painting equipment, an electronics shop, an upholstery shop, an oil laboratory, and a vibration testing and instrument calibration facility.
Our maintenance centres in Montréal, Winnipeg and Vancouver are ISO 14001 certified for the environment.
A Quality Management System has been implemented in all centres. This ensures that maintenance products and services meet and exceed the following objectives: safe and secure train operations, a safe work environment, continuously improved customer satisfaction, compliance to regulations, respect of the environment, and asset preservation.
To discuss our services, please contact us.
Private Railcar Parking
If you own a private railcar, it can be parked at one of our facilities where AMTRAK trains are serviced. VIA Rail cannot haul private railcars.
A request form PDF 21 KoThis link opens in a new tab may be sent up to ninety (90) days in advance. Notwithstanding any arrangements made with AMTRAK, VIA Rail must receive the request at least forty-five (45) days prior to the commencement of the service.
VIA Rail will review the request and will submit a quotation. If the quotation is accepted, VIA Rail will issue a confirmation as well as a formal agreement, which will require the signature of both parties. The formal agreement must be signed at least twenty (20) days prior to the commencement of service.
The private railcar shall have undergone a Mechanical Equipment Certification. The client shall provide a valid certificate upon VIA Rail’s request.
To obtain additional information, you may contact:
Coordinator, Planning and Inventory